Thursday, September 22, 2011

I always imagine heaven to be some sort of library...

Holy, wow! Can you believe September is almost over already? I'll admit, I'm still not back in the school swing of things and up until now I just kept saying "It's just the beginning, I'll get the hang of it soon enough."

Well guess what Annika? It's almost October. That's officially no longer "just the beginning" of the school year.

So, to get myself back into a proper rhythm, I think it's time to set some goals for the upcoming month! Goal number one: a proper reading list. Often times I get so caught up in reading textbooks that I have a tendency to forget that I also love reading just for the sake of reading. So, to get the ball rolling in the right direction, I just made a massive Amazon.com order! I love nothing more than used books on Amazon and also, did you know Goodwill has started opening up Amazon shops? The times, they are a changin'.

  1. The Idols of Perversity by Bram Dijkstra - My modern art history professor described this book in class as "heavy heavy feminist art theory" and I instantly started searching for a copy online. Maybe not a read I would recommend to anyone not as infatuated with art history as I am, but definitely has potential as a Masters thesis citation!
  2. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - I've been recommended this book by SO many people! Recently (ish), it was made into a movie and the other night the boyfriend and I watched it on Netflix and I was hooked. The film only covers the first few chapters of the book so I really can't wait to read more!
  3. Confessions of the Guerrilla Girls by Guerrilla Girls and Whitney Chadwick - From what I've read, this book is a bit dated. But, I love the Guerrilla Girls and Whitney Chadwick so I figured why not? I have all their other books so if anything this just completes my collection!
  4. Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster - After looking over the list of future reads I had set myself up for, I decided maybe I needed to throw something a bit more just-for-fun into the mix. I chose this book specifically mostly because GoodReads suggested it to me. If you haven't tried out this site, you really should! They have an all hit and no miss track record with the books that they have suggested me and actually have given me some of my now all time favorites such as The HelpThe Book Thief and Art of Modern Rock! So fingers crossed that this is another good one!

What are some of your favorite reads!? Any suggestions as to what should be on Decembers list?

3 comments:

karen marie said...

so glad you stopped by my blog! i love your place here :) you two are so cute!

happily following along and looking forward to reading more.

xo

vintch said...

so happy to find your lovely space on here and thank you for your sweet comment. people like your husband are saints...animal rescue is hard but terribly rewarding work:)

and freakonomics! this was the book the youngest daughter on modern family was reading in this week's season premiere. i need to read it!

Emily @ EAKaHouse said...

My husband loved feakanomics and recommends it to everyone. I'll have to check the movie out. Thanks for stopping by the blog, I can not wait to get started on my nook but there are logistics of moving walls to deal with first.