Hello A Sweet Release readers! My name is Sarah and I blog over at Desirous of Everything. I'm in the process of organizing a little dinner party with friends that I'm affectionately calling a "Fall Frolic" and thought I'd tell you all about it.
Setting the scene- I decided to use Paperless Post to send out invitations. It's way cuter than sending out a mass email or facebook invite but cheaper and faster than snail mail. Plus it does this little animation thingy that makes it look like an invitation is coming out of an envelope! This is the invitation I used to help get my juices flowing for my party's over all theme:
Next the playlist. I thought about creating an "autumn themed" song playlist but then realized that if I could find songs that talk about autumn, they're all going to sound different and might not flow together. Instead I thought of some great albums that make nice background music but aren't super boring. Here are some of my faves:
- The Beach Boys Smile Sessions just came out and is available for streaming here.
- Baxter Dury's new album Happy Soup
- Journey In Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane
- Plastic Ono Band by John Lennon
- The Harder They Come Soundtrack
- Anything by Yo La Tango
Now let's talk food! I say keep the menu simple and seasonal. Here's what I plan on serving:
And don't forget dessert!
|click for recipe!|
And finally, I don't know about you guys, but I always find a gathering much more festive when games are involved. One of my favorite party games is Salad Bowl which is a mixture of charades, taboo and craziness! Here is how you play:
- Break into teams of 2
- Choose a letter. Everyone must write down 5-10 (depending on how many people you have) words or phrases beginning with that letter on slips of paper. You can write ANYTHING you want as long as it starts with the letter. And I mean anything- people WILL guess it eventually and the weirder it is the more hilarious.
- Put the little slips of paper into a big salad bowl.
- Round 1: Time a minute for each team. Get you team mates to guess the word by describing it without saying what it is. Do this until all of the papers are gone through. Keep track of how many your team gets each time.
- Round 2: Same as round one but this time you can only use ONE WORD to describe what is on the paper. I know this sounds impossible but it isn't! You've gone through all the words already so this round relies on your memory of what is in that salad bowl. You can only say one word but you can say it over and over with a different inflection etc.
- Round 3: Act out what's on the paper doing charades! This one is also very funny because a lot of the words might not be normal charade type words but at this point you really know what is in that bowl.
And that is how you have a successful fall frolic (I think). I'm going to post about my actual frolic on my blog after it happens, so please stop by and say hello, I'd love to meet you!
Thanks for popping in Sarah! I can't wait to make my whole family play Salad Bowl while I'm home for Thanksgiving!