Monday, December 26, 2011

Even when it doesn't feel like Christmas.

So how was everyone's Christmas? Food, family, presents and tons of fun? Oh and maybe even snow! Up until yesterday, I honestly wasn't expecting to have any of those things, and by the end of the evening, the only thing missing was the snow. In true Florida fashion, it was a sunny 83 degrees on my Christmas day.


Every year, for as long as I can remember, my Christmas has been the same. In Germany, it's tradition to do the gift exchange on Christmas Eve so after attending the candle light service at church, we would all head back to my Grandmother's for cocoa, snacks, Christmas music and presents. Then, it was off to bed early to wait for Santa to come to my parents house Christmas morning. But when I hit 19 things slowly but surely began to change. I moved down south, my parents got divorced, my dad got remarried and I gained 2 step sisters. The one thing that stayed ever constant was Christmas Eve with my mom and Grandmother, until this year. My cousin in Hamburg had her second child and my Grandmother decided to spend Christmas over seas. Thus, I decided I was enough of a big girl that I would stay in Orlando and work for the holiday, rather than going home.

I'm not as much of a big girl as I thought. I cried Christmas Eve. Then again Christmas morning. And finally, Christmas Day evening. Only the final time was actually a happy cry. While it was my first time away from my own family, it was my first time with Nick's huge family. And you guys, rarely in life does one feel so loved, so unexpectedly.

Nick's mom stalked this blog and got me a gorgeous necklace I've been lusting over from Tara's shop, his Aunt and Cousin's got me the cutest vintage apron and cake decorating bags, I had a blast chatting up his Grandmother about Italy and gushed over how adorable his baby Cousin is. Dinner was amazing and afterwards the members of the 'kids' table escaped to the movie theater for a super fun end to an awesome Christmas!



This weekend, after the New Years Eve festivities die down, I'll get be-lated Christmas and a mini vacation to Jacksonville to see my Mom then in March a super be-lated Christmas with my Grandmother! I think I can live with a Christmas that lasts 2 1/2 months!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I think I would have cried too. So glad Nick's family came through and made you feel so loved. Everyone should have an amazing family like that.

Kate said...

That is such a cute story! I'm glad to hear that your Christmas was wonderful, even if it was out of the ordinary!