Monday, May 14, 2012

That one time a normal concert turned into an unforgettable night.


So it finally happened, eh? People finally know who fun. are! You know, these guys (and girl)



Well the thing is, I've been mildly obsessed with them since they were still this



And by mildly I mean roughly 7 years of fandom, a copy of every CD and EP, about 8 concerts and a small river of tears when their original band, The Format, announced they were breaking up. And then a years worth of anxious waiting when Nate announced his new band fun. was making an album.

So when I say mildly, I actually mean extremely. Nate Ruess has sung the melodies of the best and worst moments of my young adult life in a way I never could have vocalized myself. March 8th, I joined a few of my closest friends for our most recent repeat fun. concert and it was HUGE! 7 other shows and never had I seen a crowd like this. My dreams of finally meeting Nate were fading fast, but like hell was I about to let that happen.

Making friends with an official photographer? Fail.
Trying to sneak backstage? Fail.
Pestering the door man? Fail.
Bar hopping to try and find their after party? Fail.
Asking a backup band member? Now we're talking! She told us not only when, but where the guys from the band would be leaving the venue and about 30 minutes later, I had a signed flyer and of course, this:



Yes I acted like a star struck fool and yes I also danced all over the streets all the way back to my car. May have looked like a crazy person but, hey, I met my musical idol!

2 comments:

Kyla said...

You know, I had NO idea Fun. was until "We Are Young", but I'm definitely a fan now. You're night sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you got to meet your idol!

Stephanie of Pretty {much} Art said...

Coooool! I met my music idols (Third Eye Blind - I KNOW so 90s!) a few years ago. Got their autographs on our home made Third Eye Blind t-shirts (which Stephen liked and told us he wished their actual tour shirts were as cool), and got a picture with Tony. Unfortunately I found out the next day that they all went out to the local bar after that and I had passed! Arrg. Moral of the story: always go to the local bar after a concert.

P.S. I had no idea who fun. was until I read one of your blog posts months ago. This was before "We Are Young" was released on the radio. I tried to find that song to download for days and never found it! That band used to be so obscure! I'm glad they're making it into the mainstream.