Saturday, September 3, 2011

DIY: Life hacks!


  • Take your favorite liquid fabric softener and soak an old hand towel or flour cloth completely with it. Wring it out and let it dry completely, then throw it in with your next load. This mega-fabric softener sheet should be good for at least 40 loads of laundry, stretching out softener use and lessening waste. In other words, save money.
  • When painting a room, first line the paint tray with tin foil and mold it to the pan. When you're done painting, throw out the tin foil and admire your still spotless paint tray that's ready to re-use! No clean-up required!

  • Broke a glass? No, worries! It's happens to the best of us. But dont try and pick it up with your hands, you might get hurt! Instead grab a slice of bread (any kind will do) and use it like a dry sponge, dabbing at the broken pieces until they are all stuck to the bread. Throw it out and move on with your day.
  • To put on a tight bracelet by yourself, unfold a paper clip to help hold one side of the chain!
  • Since I recently learned it's blasphemy to wash a cast iron skillet (can you tell I'm new to this cooking thing?), I also recently learn how to effectively clean one without Nick having a heart attack. Scrub the pan with course salt and a soft sponge, rinse away the salt and wipe dry. The natural abrasive qualities of the salt with get rid of all the crud, without taking away the taking away from the pan's seasoning!
  • If you're as forgetful as I am, you have to try this. Make your own hide-a-key! Just glue a large rock to the top of an empty prescription bottle, place the key inside and bury the bottle with the rock still exposed. Thank Savvy House Keeping for that little gem.
  • I never used to like iced coffee until learning this ridiculously simple trick, it just got so watery and I like my coffee like I like my men: strong, sweet and full of non-dairy creamer. Wait, what? Oh, nevermind. Anyways! Make a batch of strong coffee, let it cool and then use it to fill an ice tray. Freeze your coffee cubes and use those in place of regular ice cubes.






(PS) Tomorrow my mom is coming down to visit and she's bringing back my camera! That means... Let the cooking and DIY tutorial's begin! Boy, do I have some fun stuff in store!

No comments: